Drouin Secondary College - Course Selection
Food Glorious Food 300 (FFG300)
'I didn't really know what to expect, but it was good being able to make and taste different foods and make things we chose ourselves' - Riley
Do you have an interest in fresh quality foods, and learning about a sustainable future focusing on using local fresh foods?
If so, then read on ...
This Foods Unit has a focus on developing high quality food preparation skills and knowledge, combined with current food styling and presentation techniques.
It focuses on current food trends, nutrition and issues in food selection, such as food waste, local produce and food miles.
You will develop a variety of cooking techniques, as well as further knowledge on kitchen food hygiene and safety.
You will be challenged with a variety of Creating Design Solutions, where you will investigate a topic or scenario, produce a dish or meal and then evaluate your finished work.
You will use a range of tools and equipment and a wide variety of new and interesting ingredients to produce high quality foods.
This unit will focus on...
- Nutrition and the key nutrients we need for good health
- What foods are grown and produced in our backyard and how we can use these in our food preparation?
- Food miles - how far does food travel to arrive on my dinner plate?Local produce and food miles
- Current food trends acrioss Australia, focussing on health and well being,and convenience
- Safety and hygiene in the kitchen.
Learning and Assessment Activities
- Nutrition reserach based tasks
- Creating a Desion Solution on Food Miles
- Practical cooking activities
- Creating a Design Solution on Food Trends
- Unpacking the concepts of appetite, satiety and the sensory appreciation of food
- Writing concise sensory evaluations of dishes/recipes/meals you have made
- Increasing your food preparation skills
- Honing your food styling and presentation skills
- Developing your safe and hygienic work practices
- Ensuring safe use of key kitchen tools and equipment
- Undertake a practical assessment of your kitchen production skills.
These units lead to
- Food and Culture 400
- Cafe Cuisine 400
- VCE Food Studies Units 1-4
- VET Hospitality Units 1-4
- University and TAFE studies in Food Science and Technology, Nutrition, and teaching Primary and Secondary Food Studies.
Although not essential, it is expected you will have completed Food Studies in Year 7, and you have been able to practice your food preparation skills at home.
$95 per semester - students may be asked to provide own ingredients on some occasions.
Cost for prac sessions for the Semester are set at the start of each year.
Possible excursion: Approximately $20
- 48 page exercise book or 50 page loose leaf refills
- Display folder with additional plastic pockets
- Food safe container for practical sessions
For further information see...
For further information, see Mrs Allen, Mrs McHutchison, Mrs Stevens or Mr Thorpe.
Study design link
Victorian Curriculum Design and Technologies study: