Drouin Secondary College - Course Selection
Wood Technology 400 (TWO400)
- "This makes going into VCE so much easier"
- "You get to make a project that is fully designed by ourselves."
This subject uses a range of different timbers to make a series of small projects. This is a lead in to Design and Technology at year 11 and 12 .You will learn to use the design process and develop a design brief for an item of household furniture, develop a range of design alternatives, sequence and plan production stages, safely and efficiently construct your project, evaluate and suggest possible modifications to the finished product during the unit. You will also become aware of and use of Design elements and principles in your creations. The course is broken down into 75% practical and 25% theory.
This unit will focus on...
- develop a design brief
- use selected tools, equipment and materials safely
- be familiar with basic cutting skills
- be familiar with Lathe skills
- be familiar with a range of different timber joining methods
- use time effectively
- design a project and solve problems associated with it.
- present information in a clear and comprehensive manner through drawing and writing
- express a range of ideas and choose the best
Learning and Assessment Activities
Major projects amy include:
- Design process Project
- Small Table Project
- Grandfather clock Project
- Storage unit Project
- Chair Project
These units lead to
- Building carpenter
- Furniture Making
- Manual Arts
- Cabinet Maker
- VCE Product Design Technology Units 1-4
Completing the 8/9 Woodwork will give you a great lead in with understanding some core knowledge and skills. It is not compulsory to have completed 8/9 Woodwork.
$55 per semester
For further information see...
Study design link